Friday, May 1, 2009

Privileges and/or immunities

More from my inbox:

QUESTION: I am having some trouble understanding the difference between the P&I clause in the 14th amendment and the Art. 4 Sec. 2 P&I clause. My understanding is that Art. 4 P&I is a limit on states ability to regulate in a way that discriminates on the basis of state residency, but that it only protects certain P&I like the right to common calling/vocation, access to courts/medical care, right to travel etc. My question, is why do the plaintiffs in the Slaughter House cases challenge the monopoly law under the 14th amendment P&I clause? If the Art. 4 clause applies to states, and one of the fundamental P&I it protects is common calling/vocation, then why do they even bother trying to invalidate the law through the 14th amendment?

ANSWER: In short, the plaintiffs in Slaughter-House -- butchers who were forced to use the Crescent City Livestock slaughter-house -- were Louisiana residents. They had no basis for claiming that they had been discriminated against due to their state of residence. And it is only that sort of discrimination that is the concern of the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, section 2.

QUESTION: I have similar confusion about the Saenz case. Why did the court use the 14th amendment P&I clause to knock down the state law when the right to travel is protected by the Art. 4 P&I clause? Why didn’t they simply invalidate the law using the Art. 4 P&I clause?

ANSWER: Those are different aspects of the right to travel. The one at issue in Saenz concerned the right of interstate migration, the right to move from one state to another and become a resident of that second state. The aspect of the right to travel protected by Article IV, section 2 is the right, as a non-resident, to visit another state and generally to be treated equally. Because the plaintiffs in Saenz were California residents, Article IV, section 2 was simply irrelevant.

QUESTION: In the Slaughter-House decision there is some line about how the 14th amendment P&I clause “was not meant to protect individuals from state government actions and was not meant to be a basis for federal courts to invalidate state laws.” Wasn’t the entire purpose of the 14th amendment to protect people from states? Isn’t the court in Saenz using 14th amendments P&I clause as a basis for invalidating the CA law?

ANSWER: Well, I think that line is a bit of an overstatement. Even the majority in Slaughter-House would have agreed that the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment is a constitutional restriction on how states treat their own citizens. But they construed it as applying to a very small, relatively insignificant batch of rights. One, though, was the right to interstate migration, and this was the right vindicated in Saenz.