Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Studying for this class

QUESTION: So my question, probably not much different than my classmates, is how do I study for your class?  I've been outlining both class and textbook notes, which forces me to re-read and review in the process. A few of us meet before class to review and study. When problems have been assigned, we've worked through those and debated them as a group, which has been really helpful. In other classes, we tend to sit and discuss all the notes and questions after cases, but I'm EXTREMELY overwhelmed by the volume of notes at the end of each case. Basically, the book covers a lot of details we couldn't possibly go over in class, so do you suggest spending time reviewing those details, or is that time better spent reviewing the cases/notes discussed and referred to during lecture?

ANSWER: A number of different things to address here, and I'm not sure my answer will be helpful. But let me offer the following thoughts in response:

1. Studying -- and effective retention of information and concepts -- is a little different for everyone. So I'm wary of prescribing anything as a one-size-fits-all solution. Most of you by now have some sense of what works for you. If so, don't try to deviate too much from that just because the material is different.

2. Try not to let yourself be "overwhelmed" by anything, the notes after the cases or otherwise. The sense of being overwhelmed is a psychological condition, and it is necessarily framed or created by a preexisting expectation. That is, you think a task should only take X minutes to gain Y mastery, and that is simply not possible. Hence, it is overwhelming. Perhaps a more constructive way to think about the task at hand is this: I have X amount of time to study con law between now and the next class. What is the most constructive way to use that time? Allocate your time accordingly. If that process leads to not learning the intricacies of every note after the case, then so be it. You have done your best with the time available, and that is all we can ask of ourselves.

3. Which naturally leads to the question, What is the most important material to study? I think you are right that the assigned cases and our discussions in class are the most important. The notes after and in between cases are generally there to help you understand the cases themselves. Sometimes they provide additional primary material, and in a way that is important. Typically, we touch on such material in class, if only briefly.

4. More generally, I think devoting your time to interactive studying (rather than merely passive reading) is very important to retention and understanding. Not only does it require you to embed the concepts more firmly in your mind, but the process uncovers which ideas are still a little fuzzy. Studying that requires you to speak and explain to others, or to commit concepts to writing (not notetaking, but actually writing out explanations and the like) is extremely useful.

5. I should also note that I think it is fair, in general terms (but not as a conclusive presumption) , to assume that what we discuss in class reflects what I think is most important about the material. (This is just a general guide, and should not create any strong reliance interests.)

6. Lastly, if you really want a good idea of what concepts you will be expected to have mastered by the end of the semester, and how I expect you to be able to use and apply them, the best indication is my past exams. We are probably still just a little too early in the semester for most of the questions to make much sense. But by the time we finish the section on congressional authority, you will be ready to try your hand at answering them.

I hope this is responsive to your question.